Would you like to keep your kitchen free from ants? If so, you’ll want to read on because we’ve got some tips that will help! From using ant bait to putting up ant fencing, we’ve got a few methods that will keep those pesky little creatures at bay. And if that doesn’t work, there are always some powerful insecticides that you can use. So whether you’re trying to avoid an invasion or just want to get rid of the ants once and for all, read on for our top 10 tips!
All about the Ants
Ants are tiny, hardworking creatures that play an important role in the lives of humans and other animals. They’re responsible for building and maintaining colonies of ants, and they do so by working together as a team.
Ants are able to move quickly and efficiently thanks to their sharp eyesight and strong muscles. They use their antennae to sense their surroundings, and then use their legs to walk or run in the desired direction. Ants also have a special mouthpart called a mandible that they use to eat food.
Ants play an important role in the ecosystem by raiding other colonies for food, destroying plants and insects, and transporting materials back to the nest. In fact, ants are essential for the survival of many species on earth!
Can I Get Rid of Ants?
There is no permanent solution to removing ants from a property. It may take multiple treatments over time to completely rid an area of ants, as the insects will often return in larger numbers if their colonies are disrupted. One approach that may be effective is using a chemical or baited trap that captures wild ant populations and eliminates them from the area.
How to Keep Ants Out of Food?
There are a few things that you can do to keep ants out of your food. One option is to store food in an airtight container. Another option is to wrap food in foil or put it in the freezer. Finally, you can place food in a waterproof container. If you do catch ants in the act of raiding your food, don’t panic. Ants are incapable of digesting cellulose so they will not be harmed by being sprayed with a repellent such as cedar oil or boric acid. Simply sprinkle some sugar over the offending ant mound and watch them leave on their own.
10 Ways to Prevent Ants from Taking over your Kitchen
- Diatomaceous earth: Ants cannot digest this so it will prevent them from coming in contact with the food and gaining entrance to your kitchen.
- White vinegar: Vinegar is acidic which will also prevent ants from coming into contact with the food and accessing it.
- Cinnamon: The scent of cinnamon repels ants, making them less likely to approach any items that have been doused in cinnamon oil or powder.
4 Peppermint Oil: This substance has a strong floral scent which wards off ants as they forage for food.
- Cloves: The scent of cloves is said to repel ants, so adding a few drops of this extract to any substance that you plan on using as an ant repellent will be effective.
- Tea Tree Oil: Tea tree oil has been used for centuries now as an ant-repelling agent and is known to work well in repelling both crawling and flying ants, thus making it the perfect choice for use in kitchens where food is often handled or prepared.
- Oil of lemon eucalyptus: This fruit-based product is also effective in repelling ants.
- Borax And Sugar: Combine equal parts borax with sugar and sprinkle over surfaces where you see evidence of ant activity; allow this mixture to sit until solid then remove by hand or with a vacuum cleaner.
- Neem Oil: Neem oil is another natural ant repellent that can be used in various areas of the home, such as in kitchens.
- Boiling water: Boil a pot of water and pour it over any areas where you see evidence of ant activity; allow the solution to soak in for several minutes before rinsing off.
If a closed kitchen and the absence of food are not enough to keep ants out, you can also use these tips that we listed above to keep ants away from your home. Aside from these simple yet effective tricks, it’s also important to clean thoroughly the areas where the ants usually swarm.